Hergiswald Bridge

This bridge is one of the few remaining wooden bridges in the Canton. It was built in 1792 and replaced a simple wooden plank. It has a span of 32m. Some of the woodwork in the sides is original. In 1965 the bridge was raised 60cm so that the traffic could go straight on it. Recently a footbridge has been built beside it.

Bone-crushing at Feldmühlschulhaus

As from the 11th century the land and forest economy was developed beside the only local power source of the Kriens population. What decided the development of industry was the stream Kriensbach whose waterpower drove the waterwheels of the machines. So along the Kriensbach stood numerous commerces. The names Stampfli (Stamper), Sensenschmiede (scythe forge) and Hammerschmiede (hammer forge), Feldmühle (watermill), Pulvermühle (powder mill) Küpferhammer (copper hammer) and Langsäge (long saw) remind us today of this. Since the Kriensbach already didn’t provide enough waterpower, already in 1592 an “ehehaften canal” (ehehaft =legal) was built bringing, from the neighbouring basin in Obernau, water from the Renggbach to the Kriensbach. A complicated net of natural and artificial chanels was then possible, working a whole range of water wheels. Behind the Feldmühl schoolhouse still stands a machine from the 19th century, a bone-crusher. The stamper was used in its time as a maker of saw dust (the saw dust from certain trees such as oak trees was used in the production of leather), later as a bone crusher for the production of dung for the farmers.

Schauensee Castle

When the Schauensee castle was built is no longer known. Certainly the fortress existed already in the 13th century, and with the fortresses of Obernau and Griesigen controlled the land way to the Brünig. According to documents, one speaks first of a Knight Rudolf von Schauensee (1257-1317). We know however that already at the beginning of the 14th century the castle was in ruins. At this time the von Schauensee family died out. At the end of the 16th century new life came back into the ruins. Johannes von Mettenwyl acquired the place and built it up again with the agreement of the Lucern government. After several proprietors it became the property of the family Meyer, who took the name of “Meyer von Schauensee”. Under their proprietorship the castle took its present shape. As the overbuilding of the surrounding hillocks threatened, an action committee “Pro Schauensee” was formed in1963, under Dr Alexander Wili, with the object of putting the castle under the control of the Kriens population. After a memorable “March on Lucern” the Kriens voters authorized on the 28th April 1963 a credit of CHF 1’500’000 to purchase the castle. Since then the landmark of the Kriens valley belongs to the people of Kriens.

Further Informations

www.schloss-schauensee.ch

The Town fountain in Bellpark

The octagonal fountain stood since 1918 in the town square. In 1964 this became the subject of reconstruction and the fountain was moved to the Bellpark, where it now stands. During the dismantlement, documents were found in the fountain’s foundations. In the fountain’s pillar were the portraits of four famous Kriens citizens. FRIEDRICH DEGEN, Town President and Deputy in the Parliament at Bern, 1848-1913, MELCHIOR SCHNYDER, school master and Deputy in the Cantonal Parliament and writer, 1774-1858. After a sojourn with Pestalozzi at Yverdon, he founded, in spring 1809 in the old Sigristenhaus (the presbytery in Kirchrainweg) the Kriens Communal School. He was the first who sought out the stories, documents, books and traditions of Kriens’s history. His “Remarkable Kriens” collected in the “Schnyder Chronicle” is a fund of information for history buffs. AUGUST BELL the founder of heavy industry in Kriens, 1814-1870, J.G.KRAUER, composer of the Rütli songs, 1792-1845. The birthplace of the composer was where the building of the Krauer schoolhouse, which was named after him, now stands.

Museum Bellpark Kriens

The museum of local and contemporary art, a place for photography and history. The museum is situated in a former living house of the local industrialist Theodor Bell. Exhibitions and events, café and small library.

Further Informations

Website of the museum

Sonnenbergbahn

Even in a country like Switzerland with the highest density of mountain railways, it cannot be taken for granted that a railway will be in service for more than 100 years. Built as a pioneering act, later used as a tourist development, today operated as a witness of a time that only a few of us have experienced ourselves. Welcome to the nostalgic ride in the “blaue Bähnli”. Welcome to the ride with a train, which today has a significant influence on the townscape of Kriens.

Further Informations

www.erlebnis-sonnenberg.ch

Wallfahrtskirche Hergiswald

The “Pilgrimage Church” in Hergiswald consecrated in 1662 is the best known Loreto shrine in Switzerland and a fine example of early baroque holy architecture.

In this forgotten forest chapel at the foot of Pilatus, its outstanding furnishings are virtually unchanged with its black Loreto Madonna, its holy shrine, richly carved altar, theatrically staged surrounding woodwork and the huge paintings with their many coloured Mary symbols.

Hergiswald is a lost world of pictured and written belief, altogether excessive, overplayed and naïve. At the same time, this wonder world of holy passions and legends still enrapture today and are still full of mystery.

From 1489 to 1516 there lived in Hergiswald, in a hermitage, Brother Johannes Wagner from the Itting monastery, who was held by the people of Lucern in high esteem. The former chapel was rebuilt in 1621. In 1647 the chapel was endowed and withdrawn from the supervision of Kriens. It was now under the jurisdiction of Lucerne.

This same building is now more than 350 years old and is the oldest building in our commune. Noteworthy are the over 300 surviving coffer covers, painted by Kaspar Megglinger, the wonderful figure filled altar, especially the Felix altar, one of the remaining splendid furnishings, testimony of the high quality of Lucern artwork in the 17th century.

Further Informations

www.hergiswald.ch